Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cosmic Review #18! Carnage U.S.A and Deathstroke don't ever change!

Hey there comic readers,

    This has been a HUGE week for me. A project I have been working on for over a year is very near complete. Today I got to hold the finished product in my hand and the experience was nothing short of amazing. Right now I am working on the final steps before revealing it, and I could not be more excited for 2012. Aside from the personal news, we have a some other stuff too…..the Cosmic Comic Review. This week was not a huge pull list for me, however it was definitely not lacking content wise. Let us take a look at my pull list for the week of Dec/14/11:

DC

Batman and Robin #4
Deathstroke #4
Green Lantern #4
The Ray #1
Superboy #4

Marvel

Carnage U.S.A 1 of 5

    This week was the beginning of the new Carnage mini-series, Carnage U.S.A. I don’t know what it is with the Spider-Man or Spider-Man related titles, but Marvel has definitely taken a big interest in the hero and his rogues. It seems to me that some of the most enjoyable titles that I currently read from Marvel are all somehow related to Spidey in some way. On that note this week’s review will be on Carnage U.S.A, so let us get started.

Carnage U.S.A

Written by Zeb Wells
Art by Clayton Crain


    I really enjoyed the first Carnage mini that came out earlier this year that was also written by Zeb Wells. It is nice to see that many others enjoyed it as well, as Carnage U.S.A picks up right where the other mini left off. In this first issue we see Carnage invading a small unsuspecting town in the U.S. As one would expect of a character like Cletus Kasady the results are far from pretty. Zeb Wells definitely has something big in store for us in this mini-series. If you followed the first mini, then you know that Cletus has come back and is as insane as ever. Now imagine what happens when the Avengers arrive to stop him, trust me on this one it will not be what you expected. The biggest tease in this issue definitely the final page where “Project Liquid” is revealed. As a first issue I say this one sets up a big start to the series, lets hope that issue two can keep the momentum going. I have nothing but respect for Clayton Crain and his art on this issue. I really think his style fits for Carnage and I love how he draws the symbiote suit. The colours Crain uses I think are my favourite aspect of the book, it feels like I am looking at a painting of each scene. It is a very enjoyable visual experience that is paired well with the story. In the end it all comes together to create a great first issue to what is hopefully a fantastic series, I have high hopes for this one.

Cosmic Rating: 4/5
 
Good
- Great visuals, highlights the symbiote suit
- Really enjoyed what Wells did with the first Carnage mini, this mini seems to be taking that same path

Bad
- Wish the fights would have been a tad longer
- Big ending, I don’t know how this can be done in five issues.


    That concludes this week’s comic review. I am hoping that next week can bring more for me to read through, as much as I liked this week’s selection I do enjoy a large pull more often than not. I am almost done the fourth book of the Game of Thrones Series and with the recent release of the Season two trailer, I am very eager to get started on book five. I will be writing a short story over the next few weeks to investigate on some writing methods I have thought up. I will be posting the short story on the blog of course, I hope that my readers can take the time to read and critique it as the feedback would help me immensely. Until then, take care and happy reading!

Luca “Joriko” Baldassarra

Follow me on Twitter @Lucacosmic AND Check out my fan-page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Lucacosmic!

No comments:

Post a Comment