Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cosmic Comic Review #22! Green Lantern #5, & Youtube?!

Hey there comic readers,

    Just another week in 2012, and the comics have come to usher in a new week. I mean really, Monday is not very welcoming, and Tuesday just can’t compare. To me, Wednesday is the first day of the week, new comics and all. Enough of that though, let’s take a look at my pull list for the week of Jan/11/12:

DC

Batman & Robin #5
Green Lantern #5
DC Universe Online Legends #21
Deathstroke #5
The Ray #2
Superboy #5

Marvel

Journey into Mystery #633
Scarlet Spider #1
The Amazing Spider-Man #677
The Incredible Hulk #4
Wolverine and the X-Men #4

I am pretty sure this week is the most even split between Marvel and DC I have had in a long time. It’s funny how my pull list has evened out recently. I’m glad to see both companies pumping out some interesting reads, hopefully these trends continue as we go deeper into 2012. As for me, I am in the process of booking booths for the comic-cons around Toronto in 2012. The first cons are set for March 10-11th and April 14-15th. I will be selling my first comic book, Shadowlines, at both venues. If you live in the Toronto area and are interested in meeting me or checking out my work, more information will be posted here as well as on my Facebook page as I get them, so stay tuned! Enough of news though, let’s move onto the Cosmic Comic Review for this week. This week I will be reviewing Green Lantern #5!

Green Lantern #5 
Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Doug Mahnke, Christian Alamy, Keith Champagne


    This issue was definitely something I was excited to read. We were left in issue four with both Sinestro and Hal Jordan in a very bleak situation. Not only had Sinestro armed the entire population of Korugar with Green Rings, as he did for Hal, but the citizens of Korugar made it very clear that they would not follow him. This issue however, gave as much as it took for me. Don’t get me wrong, I really like where Johns has taken Green Lantern. From Rebirth to Brightest Day, I really enjoyed the place Green Lantern is now, mainly because it has so much to offer in the right writer’s hands. After issue four, I was very interested to see what Johns was planning for Issue five. To be honest, at the end of it though, I could not help but feel upset. In this issue, Johns manages to give the reader a lot more insight into what exactly Sinestro is capable of, both as a leader of his own corps, and as a Lantern. It has definitely been solidified that Sinestro is not a Lantern to take lightly, even if he is a reluctant Green Lantern. As for Jordan, this issue for the most part, completely writes him off. Hal ends up in a position that can go virtually anywhere, but I felt that his character did not receive as much care as Sinestro had. If you’re looking for epic showdowns, this issue could also be a downer for you. Like I said, there is a lot to be said for the cool things introduced into this issue, some good ground work was laid in this first story. I can’t help but feel cheated slightly out of things that I had assumed were coming. Just can’t have your cake and eat it too I guess.

    As for art, Mankhe is definitely no stranger to the GL titles. As expected, he brings some stellar pencils to the table. I am going to go out and say, that his Sinestro is my favourite version artistically. Something about the way he draws Sinestro’s facial expressions just makes those scenes that much better. If there is one thing about this issue I can’t find a problem with is the art. You get exactly what you expect from all the artists in this book, Green Lantern fans should not be disappointed.

Overall, as I stated before this issue offers some great ground work moving forward. Johns has completely redefined the power of a Green Lantern in the New 52, as such the possibilities are limitless. However, as for how this story was concluded, it left much to be desired. Aside from the art from Mahnke, Alamy, and Champagne, I have to say that don’t expect fantastic things from this one, but it is still worth picking up.

Cosmic Rating: 3/5

Good

- The art is true to form, great panels and spreads
- Sinestro and his capabilities once again redefined, the most dangerous Lantern in the universe


Bad

- Hal not given as much spotlight as I would have liked
- The conclusion of the Korugar occupation was not what I expected
- Johns seems to be setting up something here, as such the issue is somewhat rushed


    That will end another week of the Cosmic Comic Review. I have been thinking about how to improve the blog over the past few weeks, and I have decided that at some point in the next few months I will start a youtube channel. I have started researching ways to bring comic news to you in a way that would best entertain and inform. I need your help! Let me know what you would like to see from my youtube channel so that I can bring it to life right. I have already found a place to record my videos which will provide experienced audio engineering as well as video production. I shall keep everyone informed as soon as production begins. Visit my Facebook page in the link below and leave your comments! Until next week, take care and happy reading!

Luca “Joriko” Baldassarra

Follow me on Twitter @Lucacosmic AND Check out my fan-page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Lucacosmic!

No comments:

Post a Comment