Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Cosmic Comic Review #33! New Guardians #7 and Comic Shop Convos!

Hey there comic readers,

    I had myself an interesting discussion at the local comic shop today. One of the employees at the shop was asking me how things were going with my comic. I told him about the first few weeks of selling my comics to stores, the experience of talking with people about my work and meeting other creators, and how I feel my writing has changed since my debut. The last question really stuck in my mind, and was by far the hardest to answer. I realized that as much as I would like to receive feedback on my writing, I don’t really get as much as I would like. It’s a tough position I find myself in. I have never studied creative writing formally, so all of my writing is based off of my knowledge of comics and story telling that I have interpreted from my own reading selection. So I resolved to search online for more online communities that review or critique writing, whether it be through new short stories or just submitting older work. I definitely am hoping that by doing this I can get some definitive answers to where and how I can improve my writing so that moving forward I can keep getting better at it. I am not saying that I am a bad writer. I have been told by a number of people that they really enjoy my writing and look forward to more of it, I just like to be super critical of myself and not settle easily. Nothing worse than thinking that you can’t improve, what a terrible mindset to embrace. At least that’s my opinion. Anyway, enough of that, time to review some comics. Let’s check out my pulls for this week.

Comic Pull List Mar/28/12:

DC

All-Star Western #7
Aquaman #7
Batman The Dark Knight #7
Green Lantern New Guardians #7
The Flash #7
Teen Titans #7

Marvel

Avenging Spider-Man #5
Ghost Rider #9

Vertigo

The New Deadwardians #1

    Really enjoyed “The New Deadwardians”. I was surprised how absorbed I became after I started reading it. Didn’t have huge hopes for this one since it was an undead story, but I admit that my doubts have been subdued so far. Leave it to Vertigo to give me some of the good stuff. Speaking of good stuff, Green Lanterns New Guardians #7? Yes indeed. This week’s comic review!

Green Lantern New Guardians #7
Written by Tony Bedard
Art by Tyler Kirkham


    Really happy with what I saw in this month’s issue of New Guardians. As I have stated in the past, I had started to lose interest in this title. Initially I had expected this title to really showcase the “war of light” aspect of the team up. The initial events kind of supported this for me, since we basically saw Kyle Rayner being the unwilling recipient of every color ring. As the issues progressed however we saw this unlikely team of Arkillo, Munk, Fatality, Bleez, Saint Walker, Glommulus, and Kyle form together. It’s been an interesting ride so far leading to this issue. Issue #7 starts out where it left us in Issue #6, straight into the action. Invictus has definitely shown himself to me to be a character I can enjoy. Bedard puts a lot of effort into fleshing out his motivations and back story this issue, all the while connecting him to everyone’s favourite Orange menace. Between the history we get some great fight scenes, awesome pencils provided by Tyler Kirkham. Every Lantern gets their fair share of spotlight, with some great scenes showcasing the might of Invictus as well. Bedard and Kirkham have really opened my eyes to the potential this book carries for Lantern fans as well as comic readers. I would say you would be hard pressed to not find something interesting from this issue. Looking forward to the next issue and seeing what else Bedard has in store for this team.

Cosmic Rating: 4.5/5

Good
- This issue was a great balance of action, history, and drama. Kept me interested throughout the issue.
- The artwork by Kirkham was great. Tons of pages full of action. Really liked looking at the New Guardians squaring off against all Invictus threw at them.


Bad
- Like I said, at one point I was disappointed with this title. That being said, for someone who wants to jump on board this title be advised that their will be a few issues of setup in this title. This may not be bad for everyone, but for me I felt that the pace leading up to issue #7 could have been quicker.

    That’s it for this week’s Cosmic Comic Review. Just letting you guys know that lately I have been really pumping out the creative stuff on my blog. I am putting myself through some writing exercises and basically doing my best to come out with as many works that I can every week. Check out whatever I post on my blog and if you feel so inclined give me some of your input. Would love to hear what you have to say. Until next time, take care and happy reading!

Follow me on Twitter @Lucacosmic AND Check out my fan-page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Lucacosmic!
Like Indy Comics? Check out my comic! www.shadowlinesgame.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment